Career Readiness is students' attainment and demonstration of competencies that broadly prepare them for a successful transition into the workplace. These competencies include communication, professionalism, teamwork and collaboration, and career management.
Students will enhance their ability to communicate effectively. Communication is writing and speaking effectively within multiple contexts and environments while leveraging strong verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills.
- Students will accurately and coherently explain a topic, idea, or feeling.
- Students will identify active listening skills.
- Students will listen actively and attentively.
- Students will listen and respond to constructive feedback professionally, without deflection, and ask for clarification as needed.
- Students will consider the interests and perspectives of others when communicating interpersonally.
- Students will identify strategies to mediate and resolve conflicts.
- Students will increase their self-efficacy to mediate and resolve conflicts.
- Students will demonstrate successful strategies to mediate and resolve conflicts.
Students will enhance their professionalism. Professionalism is completing the responsibilities assigned, assuming additional responsibilities as able and needed, positively engaging in teamwork, and adhering to organizational policies, procedures, and culture.
- Students will articulate how the quality of their work impacts the success of achieving organizational goals.
- Students will complete the tasks for which they are responsible by the deadline and with high quality.
- Students will think it is important to publicly maintain a positive attitude about the organization.
- Students will publicly maintain a positive attitude about the organization and provide constructive feedback in appropriate contexts.
- Students will increase their self-efficacy and ability to publicly support the team’s decisions, even when the decision differs from their personal opinion.
- Students will learn strategies to identify organizational policies, procedures, and culture.
- Students will think that it is important to adhere to organizational policies, procedures, and culture.
- Students will adhere to organizational policies, procedures, and culture.
Students will enhance their ability to engage in teamwork and collaboration. Teamwork is an effective group dynamic where high-functioning, professional, intentionally organized groups are engaged through well-defined roles allowing for equitable contributions towards a common purpose and goals. Collaboration is the process of joint decision making across different organizations’ teams and committing to shared ownership of decisions and collective responsibility of outcomes.
- Students will articulate the difference between group work, teamwork, and collaboration.
- Students will articulate how their behaviors impact a constructive team climate.
- Students will think that it is important to support the wellbeing and success of organization members.
- Students will demonstrate behaviors that support the wellbeing and success of organization members and contribute to a constructive team climate.
- Students will engage in and support the facilitation of team dialogue and decision-making toward achieving team goals.
- Students will contribute to succession planning for their role and the team.
- Students will increase the value they place on collaboration to achieve team goals and purpose.
- Students will seek out and engage in collaboration.
Students will enhance their ability to manage their career. The Career Management narrative and subsequent intended outcomes are currently being developed by the Division's Career Readiness Assessment Fellows.
The Division of Student Affairs supports the development of other career competencies adopted by the National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE) in other divisional learning goals, including critical thinking, inclusive communities, leadership development, and personal identity.
View the Career Readiness events and programs on Engage that are provided by the division or student organizations that the division advises.
Thank you to educators across the division who serve as Career Readiness Assessment Fellows.