Helpful Tips to Welcome New Employees
The first day at a new job can be daunting and overwhelming. The day normally involves training and lots of paperwork. However, if you only stay with these types of tasks and documents, you’re missing a great opportunity to welcome the new employee. Remember we have an Onboarding Checklist for you to view that has more details. Below are some helpful tips to help you prepare for your new employee's first day.
- Call the new employee to confirm the start date, time, parking, dress code, etc.
- Offer suggestions for potential housing areas.
- Make sure the new employee has their onboarding buddy information.
- E-mail the department/division of the new hire which includes the start date, employee’s role and bio.
- Put together welcome packet from the department and include: job description, welcome letter, contact names and phone lists, campus map, copy of departmental org chart, job description, campus facts, parking and traffic information, mission, values and tagline of the University and Division, information on your department, HR and Relocation Services, etc.
- Arrange for lunch with the appropriate person(s) or buddy for the new employee’s first day and during the first week.
- Clarify the first week’s schedule, and confirm required and recommended training.
- Provide an overview of the functional area – its purpose, organizational structure, and goals.
- Review the job description and outline the job duties and expectations.
- Describe how employee’s job fits in the department, and how the job and department contribute to the division/university.
- Explain policies and procedures for overtime (if applicable), use of vacation, sick and holiday leave. Explain any flexible work policies or procedures.
- Review the Personal Onboarding Plan with the Employee.