Follow the 3Ws and do your Daily Health Check before leaving your residence hall or coming to campus.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated November 9, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Student Affairs Covid-19 Response
General Student Organization Events and Meetings
- Clubs must follow all state, federal, and university policies including CDC guidelines!
- At this time, Club travel outside of the immediate area is not permitted.
- Due to a lack of meeting space and limited occupancy, we strongly encourage your clubs to meet virtually. If you do meet in person, you should also have a way for other members to join virtually. Additional questions and answers can be found HERE.
- You MUST create Engage events and track attendance at all meetings and events.
- We now have the Engage Event Check-in App for contactless attendance tracking at in-person events!
- Contact tables may be reserved, with a few revised policies.
- The Career Development Center’s staff are available via email, phone, or Zoom.
- Career Coaches will offer Zoom appointments.
- Career fairs for Spring 2021 will be delivered on a virtual platform
- Career Guides offer resume and cover letter reviews via email and have Zoom hours Monday through Thursday from 2:00 to 4:00.
- Students who need to meet with Student Employment must schedule an appointment in Handshake. Once the appointment is approved, they will meet in person in JET with our staff to complete their onboarding paperwork.
- Open limited hours (8am-4pm).
- Scheduling Initial Consultations by phone. See the "Getting Started" page on the Counseling Center website for additional information.
- We are offering Individual Counseling and Referral Coordination through TeleMental Health, including ongoing groups such as Understanding Self and Others, Food Mood, LGBTQ++, and Connections, as well as our Quick Access Groups (Anxiety Toolbox, Kind Mind, and HEALS).
- For emergencies such as current suicidal thoughts, recent sexual assault, death of a loved one, unusual experiences such as seeing or hearing things others do not, students can call the Counseling Center during the daytime and after hours.
- The emergency services page of the Counseling Center website has updated information on emergency services, including a link for students living in other counties of NC to access crisis services in their county.
- We are offering “Let's Talk / Let's Teletalk” through Zoom for informal consultations with a counselor to help students address specific problems and to familiarize them with the process of talking to a counselor. Let's TeleTalk consultants can share helpful resources, offer their perspective on a student's concerns, assist in learning how to help a friend, and help students determine whether formal counseling would be helpful.
- We are offering virtual workshops for a variety of mental health topics for student groups and classes.
- There are updated Self-Help resources on the Counseling Center website for student concerns, as well as free, anonymous mental health screenings available on the website.
(including Case Management, Office of Student Conduct, Parent & Family Services, Off-Campus & Student Legal Services, and Student Veteran Services)
- Each respective unit in the Office of the DOS is available for appointments and questions, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. via email, phone, or Zoom. Appointments can be made by contacting 828-262-8284 or 828-262-2704 or each unit individually. In-person operations will be based on Student Union hours.
- DOS On Call phone remains active.
- An office in the suite is identified for walk-in students or students without technology to use for a Zoom appointment or to set-up a future appointment.
- Case management regarding COVID 19 resources can be found at https://casemanagement.appstate.edu/
- The Office of Student Conduct can be reached at 828-262-2704 or firstname.lastname@example.org from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday. All meetings are being held virtually.
- Space and equipment is being provided to students who are local and/or may need privacy for their virtual meetings with the Office of Student Conduct.
- Academic Integrity reports can be made by faculty at https://academicintegrity.appstate.edu/
- The Office of Off-Campus Student Services continues to assist students by offering an off-campus housing database and other resources for off-campus students. The Director is available to meet speak with students and others remotely regarding off campus housing and to assist with off campus issues.
- The Office of Parent & Family Services sends ongoing communications to parents and families regarding the latest COVID-19 updates from the University. The Chancellor also sends weekly updates to current parents and family members. Parent and Family Orientation will be held in January remotely. Information about Parent Orientation can be found at parents.appstate.edu
- The Student Legal Clinic offers free legal advice, information and referrals provided by a licensed attorney.
- Student Veteran Services and the Student Veteran Resource Center continue to have limited capacity and access. Appointments with the Program Director may be scheduled remotely by calling the SVRC or the Office of the Dean of Students or emailing Jennifer Coffey directly at email@example.com.
- Intercultural Student Affairs staff is available by phone and email.
- The Centers: Multicultural Center, Women's Center, and Henderson Springs LGBT Center are closed until spring semester. Contact information for The Centers:
(including ACT, Leadership Education and Development (LEAD), Plemmons Student Union, and Campus Activities)
- Offices within Student Engagement & Leadership are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- The ACT Office will assist students in Finding Volunteer Opportunities in Boone or Online.
- COVID testing may be scheduled on-line. If on-line appointments are not available, call 828-262-3100 and ask to speak with a nurse.
- Pre-visit COVID screenings are required for all students and they are reviewed by a provider.
- We have an additional Sophia 2 machine, which has increased our capacity for on-site testing.
- Student Health Services remains open on a regular schedule with weekend hours from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. There is also a nurse on call after hours who can be reached by calling the main office.
- Telehealth and in-person appointments are available.
- Pharmacy and Injury Clinic services continue to be available.
- There is ongoing collaboration with AppHealthCare (Appalachian District Health Department) regarding quarantine and isolation protocols for students.
- There is rapid, onsite COVID-19 testing available.
- Please call Student Health Service directly at 828.262.3100 to make an appointment and/or speak with a clinician. Due to the pandemic, we are increasing virtual screening to reduce transmission.
- Residence Halls close on November 25th. All students except those approved to stay in Winter Break Halls should leave by then.
- Residence Halls open January 14-17 Continuing students will check-in to their residence halls based upon their assigned move-in time.
- Residence Halls will be cleaned and sanitized 7 days per week by Housekeeping Staff.
- University Housing is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone via 828-262-2160 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After November 24, Hall staff will be on duty as of Wednesday, November 25 at 5:00 p.m. Students may reach the on-duty staff member by calling the phone number posted on the Winter Break residence hall's front door.
Full operating hours listed on our website
Student Recreation Center:
- Open for users through Friday December 18th
Quinn Recreation Center:
- Open through November 24th
Student Recreation Center, Quinn Recreation Center, and Mt. Mitchell Fitness Center are reopening January 15 of 2021
- Reservations will begin on January 14, 2021 online.
- Other UREC programs offered (No reservation needed)
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by phone and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Wellness & Prevention COVID-19 webpage