Follow the 3Ws and do your Daily Health Check before leaving your residence hall or coming to campus.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated August 21, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Student Affairs Covid-19 Response
General Student Organization Events and Meetings
- Clubs must follow all state, federal, and university policies including CDC guidelines!
- At this time, Club travel outside of the immediate area is not permitted.
- Due to a lack of meeting space and limited occupancy, we strongly encourage your clubs to meet virtually. If you do meet in person, you should also have a way for other members to join virtually. Additonal questions and answers can be found HERE.
- You MUST create Engage events and track attendance at all meetings and events.
- We have purchased the Event Check-in App for contactless attendance tracking at in-person events!
- Contact tables may be reserved, with a few revised policies.
Career Development careers.appstate.edu
- The Career Development Center’s staff are available via email, phone, or Zoom.
- Career Coaches will offer limited in-person appointments starting no sooner than Labor Day. Each Coach will have a designated day for face to face appointments and students requesting that mode will be given priority for those days. Zoom appointments will always be available.
- Career fairs for fall will be delivered on a virtual platform.
- In-person interviews will not be scheduled until October at the earliest.
- Will be offered through Zoom with an actual Career Guide, during regular Career Studio hours, Monday - Thursday between 2:00pm - 4:00pm.
- Career Guides offer resume and cover letter reviews via email.
- Approvals and on-boarding for Student Employment are scheduled in Handshake and conducted virtually by Kato Thompson and Sarah Parker.
- Student employees will be required to present I-9/e-Verify documentation in person to verify what was submitted online; by appointment only.
- One interview room will be identified for students needing immediate assistance and the meeting will be conducted via Zoom.
Child Development Center childdevelopment.appstate.edu
- Open limited hours (8am-4pm).
Counseling Center counseling.appstate.edu
- To get started with services, we are scheduling Initial Consultations by phone. See the "Getting Started" page on the Counseling Center website for additional information.
- We are offering Individual Counseling and Referral Coordination through TeleMental Health, including ongoing groups such as Understanding Self and Others, Food Mood, LGBTQ++, and Connections, as well as our Quick Access Groups (Anxiety Toolbox, Kind Mind, and HEALS).
- For emergencies such as current suicidal thoughts, recent sexual assault, death of a loved one, unusual experiences such as seeing or hearing things others do not, students can call the Counseling Center during the daytime and after hours.
- The emergency services page of the Counseling Center website has updated information on emergency services, including a link for students living in other counties of NC to access crisis services in their county.
- We are offering “Let’s Talk / Let’s Teletalk” through zoom for informal consultations with a counselor to help students address specific problems and to familiarize them with the process of talking to a counselor. Let’s TeleTalk consultants can share helpful resources, offer their perspective on a student’s concerns, assist in learning how to help a friend, and help students determine whether formal counseling would be helpful.
- We are offering virtual workshops for a variety of mental health topics for student groups and classes.
- There are updated Self-Help resources on the Counseling Center website for student concerns, as well as free, anonymous mental health screenings available on the website.
Office of the Dean of Students deanofstudents.appstate.edu
(including Case Management, Student Conduct, Parent & Family Services, Off-Campus & Student Legal Services, and Student Veteran Services)
- Each respective office in the Office of the DOS is available for appointments and questions, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. via email, phone, or Zoom.
- One room in the office will be identified for walk-in students or students without technology to use for a Zoom appointment or to set-up a future appointment.
- Student Conduct meetings, informal resolutions, and formal resolutions (hearings) will be held via Zoom until further notice.
- The Office of Off-Campus Student Services continues to assist students by offering an off-campus housing database and other resources for off-campus students.
- The Office of Parent & Family Services sends ongoing communications to parents and families regarding the latest COVID-19 updates from the University.
- The Student Legal Clinic office continues to offer free legal advice, information and referrals provided by a licensed attorney.
Intercultural Student Affairs intercultural.appstate.edu
- Intercultural Student Affairs staff is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone and email.
- The Centers: Multicultural Center, Women's Center, and Henderson Springs LGBT Center will open with limited hours beginning August 24th.
- Monday- Friday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm & 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Student Engagement & Leadership engageandlead.appstate.edu
(including ACT, Leadership Education and Development (LEAD), Plemmons Student Union, and Campus Activities)
- Offices within Student Engagement & Leadership are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- The ACT Office will assist students in Finding Volunteer Opportunities in Boone or Online.
Student Health Services healthservices.appstate.edu
- Student Health Services remains open on a regular schedule with weekend hours from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. There is also a nurse on call after hours who can be reached by calling the main office.
- Telehealth and in-person appointments are available.
- Pharmacy and Injury Clinic services continue to be available.
- There is ongoing collaboration with AppHealthCare (Appalachian District Health Department) regarding quarantine and isolation protocols for students.
- There is rapid, onsite COVID-19 testing available.
- Please call Student Health Service directly at 828.262.3100 to make an appointment and/or speak with a clinician. Due to the pandemic, we are increasing virtual screening to reduce transmission.
University Housing housing.appstate.edu
- August 14-17 Continuing students will check-in to their residence halls based upon their assigned move-in time.
- Residence Halls will be cleaned and sanitized 7 days per week by Housekeeping Staff.
- University Housing is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone via (828) 262-2160.
- If a student or parent wishes to speak with a staff member in University Housing, we will be available via telephone at (828) 262-2160, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a Zoom Meeting (will be arranged by a University Housing staff member).
- Face to face meetings can occur if necessary but must be pre-arranged by calling (828) 262-2160 or by emailing email@example.com.
- West Campus Service Desk(Thunder Hill Hall) is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and from 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- East Campus Service Desk (Appalachian Hall) is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and from 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays
- Hall staff are currently on duty as of Friday, August 7 at 8:00 a.m. Students may reach the on-duty staff member by calling the phone number posted on their hall’s front door.
University Recreation urec.appstate.edu
- University Recreation (UREC) is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone and email. Additional information on schedules and programs can be found on the UREC website.
- In person events that meet physical distancing requirements will be offered.
- Pool will open on Aug 17.
- Free swim/lap swim will be limited to one person per lane. Swim lessons are not offered until further notice.
- Club Sports practices anticipate starting September 13.
- Outside in-person and virtual group fitness classes will start to be offered soon.
- ESports will be offered.
- Contactless outdoor equipment rental will be available starting on Aug 17.
- Local day trips will be offered in Fall 2020.
- The indoor climbing wall will resume for only bouldering under modified hours of operation in the Fall 2020 semester, once the facility opens.
Wellness & Prevention Services wellness.appstate.edu
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by phone and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Provide WE COACH, peer to peer Wellness Coaching sessions.