The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place. Instruction has transitioned online for summer sessions. Read the latest update posted 5/27/2020 at 3:50 p.m.
Read the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated March 31, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Student Affairs Covid-19 Response
General Student Organization Events and Meetings
- Any in-person student organization meetings or events are canceled until further notice.
- Student group travel is suspended until further notice.
- Online and virtual meetings of student organizations are permitted and encouraged.
Career Development careers.appstate.edu
- Career Development is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More information on changes in services are available on the Career Development website.
- Career coaching appointments can be scheduled via Handshake and will be conducted via Zoom.
- Starting March 23, Career Studio will be conducted through Zoom during regular Career Studio hours, Monday through Thursday between 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Students can join one of two Zoom meetings, one for each Career Guide, to get career assistance.
- Processing paperwork for new student employees is currently on hold. Monitor the Career Development website for updates.
Child Development Center childdevelopment.appstate.edu
- The Center will close temporarily beginning on Monday, March 23, and will continue to be closed until further notice.
- Teachers will be in contact with each family to discuss virtual meetings with their child's class and available community and online resources.
Counseling Center counseling.appstate.edu
- All staff will be working remotely off-campus and will continue to provide a variety of services to students.
- We are scheduling phone consultations to help students who are interested in continuing or getting started with services (e.g. teletherapy), who would like to talk about support for themselves during this time, or who would like assistance with referrals or other resources. Students may call 828-262-3180 to schedule a phone consultation to discuss options.
- Emergency services are available by phone during the daytime and after hours. The emergency services page of the Counseling Center website (counseling.appstate.edu) has updated information on emergency services, including a link for students living in other counties of NC to access crisis services in their county.
- The Counseling Center is also providing live zoom workshops focused on building skills for mental health, podcasts, and short video skill building practices from our popular Quick Access Groups -- Anxiety Toolbox, Kind Mind, and HEALS (Healthy Emotions and Life Skills).
- The primary means to contact the Counseling and Psychological Services Center remains 828-262-3180, and Dr. Chris Hogan, Director, will be the primary point of contact for administrative inquiries or concerns.
Office of the Dean of Students deanofstudents.appstate.edu
(including Case Management, Student Conduct, Parent & Family Services, Off-Campus & Student Legal Services, and Student Veteran Services)
- The Office of the Dean of Students is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-8284.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by calling 828-262-8284 or emailing email@example.com and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- The Office of Student Conduct can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 828-262-2704. Appointments will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Student Veteran Services will also be available by phone 828-262-2722. Appointments can be made by emailing email@example.com and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone. The Student Veteran Center will not be open, but in person questions will be received in the Office of the Dean of Students.
Intercultural Student Affairs intercultural.appstate.edu
- Intercultural Student Affairs is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-6164.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by emailing Barbara Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 828-262-6164 or by contacting a specific staff member directly via email. Staff will respond with meeting time options and format.
Student Engagement & Leadership engageandlead.appstate.edu
- Offices within Student Engagement & Leadership are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by emailing Skyler Kulesa at email@example.com, by phone at 828-262-3032 or by emailing the staff member directly. Staff will respond with meeting time options and format.
Plemmons Student Union studentunion.appstate.edu
- The student union is temporarily closed and will remain closed until further notice.
- All student reservations in the Student Union, Legends, and outdoor spaces managed by the student union have been canceled until further notice.
- Mt. Mitchell fitness facility is closed until further notice.
- Questions regarding the student union may be directed to Skyler Kulesa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-3032
Student Health Services healthservices.appstate.edu
- If you have respiratory symptoms, please call (828) 262-3100 before coming to Student Health such that we can expedite your care.
- Student Health Services is open on a regular schedule with weekend hours from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. There is a nurse on call after hours who can be reached by calling (828) 262-3100.
- Schedule a virtual visit to meet with one of our clinicians by calling (828) 262-6577.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact us at (828) 262-6577. Also, you may cancel your appointments online by using Medportal at http://medportal.appstate.edu.
- If you need to transfer your prescription to your local pharmacy, please have your local pharmacy call our pharmacy at (828) 262-3101 or have them fax the request to (828) 262-7592.
- NC Public Health CoVid-19 hotline - 866-462-3821 is open 24/7.
University Housing housing.appstate.edu
- Beginning March 23, only students who have special circumstances and approved by University Housing will be allowed to remain in on-campus housing.
- Students who need access to residence halls to retrieve additional belongings after March 23, 2020 should email email@example.com to make arrangements before coming to campus.
- University Housing is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2160.
- West Campus Service Desk is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- East Campus Service Desk is open Monday through Friday, 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
University Recreation urec.appstate.edu
- University Recreation is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2100.
- The Mt. Mitchell fitness facility, Student Recreation Center and the Quinn Recreation Center are Closed until further notice.
- The University Recreation team continues to explore opportunities to engage and educate students through virtual formats. Please continue to visit our website, urec.appstate.edu for broad departmental updates. Also, many online fitness courses have already been established. Please learn more about those opportunities at fitness.appstate.edu.
Wellness & Prevention Services wellness.appstate.edu
- The office will be open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by calling (828) 262-3148 and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Updates regarding health promotion activities available through digital and virtual platforms can be found at wellness.appstate.edu/covid19.