The university remains open and is actively engaged in maintaining the safest possible learning and work environment.
Click here for the latest university COVID-19 updates.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated June 10, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
Student Affairs Covid-19 Response
General Student Organization Events and Meetings
- Any in-person student organization meetings or events are canceled until further notice.
- Student group travel is suspended until further notice.
- Online and virtual meetings of student organizations are permitted and encouraged.
Career Development careers.appstate.edu
- Career Development is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2180 or email email@example.com.
- More information on changes in services are available on the Career Development website. A full program of career services will commence on May 26 in coordination with the first day of summer school. A 26-university virtual career fair, Southern Alliance Virtual Career Fair, is offered June 16 for students and alumni.
- Career coaching appointments can be scheduled via Handshake and will be conducted via Zoom.
- Processing paperwork for new student employees is to be scheduled via Handshake. Only students approved by the Chancellor to be hired will be allowed to schedule an appointment. Appointments are 45 minutes and students must submit required documentation via Filelocker during the appointment.
Child Development Center childdevelopment.appstate.edu
- The Center will open for children on June 10.
- Modified operating hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Teachers will be in contact with each family to discuss virtual meetings with their child's class and available community and online resources.
Counseling Center counseling.appstate.edu
- All staff will be working remotely off-campus and will continue to provide a variety of services to students.
- Initial Consultations: We are scheduling Initial Consultations by phone to help students interested in continuing or getting started with counseling through TeleMental Health, who would like to talk about support for themselves during this time, or who would like assistance with referrals or other resources. Please call us at 828-262-3180 to schedule an Initial Consultation to discuss options.
- TeleMental Health: We offer Individual Counseling through TeleMental Health. Please call the Counseling Center at 828-262-3180 to schedule an Initial Consultation and speak with a Counselor about options for services that will match your needs. Please review the Counseling Center's TeleMental Health Informed Consent.
- Emergency Services are available by phone during the daytime and after hours. The emergency services page of the Counseling Center website (counseling.appstate.edu) has updated information on emergency services, including options if living in Boone, other parts of NC, and contact information for national resources.
- Quick Access Virtual Workshops – Join us for our "drop-in" virtual workshops offered live throughout the week - Anxiety Toolbox, Kind Mind, and HEALS (Healthy Emotions and Life Skills).
- "Lets TeleTalk!": brief, one-on-one consultations with Counseling Center counselors. Let's TeleTalk counselors can share helpful resources, offer their perspective on specific problems or concerns, assist in learning how to help a friend, and answer questions about what it might be like to talk with a counselor.
- The Feelin' Good Workshops Online: Weekly workshops to help you reduce isolation, build new skills, and increase mental wellbeing and coping. Workshops are offered live via Zoom and as recordings on our YouTube channel and Instagram page.
- Self-Help: See our self-help resources available to assist with anxiety, depression, sleep, relationships, traumatic events, etc. See also these additional on-line Mental Health Resources during COVID-19.
- The primary means to contact the Counseling and Psychological Services Center remains 828-262-3180, and Dr. Chris Hogan, Director, will be the primary point of contact for administrative inquiries or concerns.
Office of the Dean of Students deanofstudents.appstate.edu
(including Case Management, Student Conduct, Parent & Family Services, Off-Campus & Student Legal Services, and Student Veteran Services)
- The Office of the Dean of Students is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-8284.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by calling 828-262-8284 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- The Office of Student Conduct can be reached by emailing email@example.com or calling 828-262-2704. Appointments will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Student Veteran Services is available by phone 828-262-2722. Appointments can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Parent & Family Orientation will take place virtually with a mix of live and pre-recorded sessions. Family members should pre-register for their Orientation session by visiting parentorientation.appstate.edu. There is no separate charge for participating, and the one-day program will run concurrently with Student Orientation.
Intercultural Student Affairs intercultural.appstate.edu
- Intercultural Student Affairs is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-6164.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by emailing Adriane Brooks at email@example.com or 828-262-3032 or by contacting a specific staff member directly via email. Staff will respond with meeting time options and format.
Student Engagement & Leadership engageandlead.appstate.edu
- Offices within Student Engagement & Leadership are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by emailing Skyler Kulesa at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 828-262-3032 or by emailing the staff member directly. Staff will respond with meeting time options and format.
Plemmons Student Union studentunion.appstate.edu
- The student union is temporarily closed and will remain closed until further notice.
- All student reservations in the Student Union, Legends, and outdoor spaces managed by the student union have been canceled until further notice.
- Mt. Mitchell fitness facility is closed until further notice.
- Questions regarding the student union may be directed to Skyler Kulesa at email@example.com or 828-262-3032
Student Health Services healthservices.appstate.edu
- If you have respiratory symptoms, please call (828) 262-3100 before coming to Student Health such that we can expedite your care.
- Student Health Services is open on a regular schedule with weekend hours from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. There is a nurse on call after hours who can be reached by calling (828) 262-3100.
- Schedule a virtual visit to meet with one of our clinicians by calling (828) 262-6577.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact us at (828) 262-6577. Also, you may cancel your appointments online by using Medportal at http://medportal.appstate.edu.
- If you need to transfer your prescription to your local pharmacy, please have your local pharmacy call our pharmacy at (828) 262-3101 or have them fax the request to (828) 262-7592.
- NC Public Health CoVid-19 hotline - 866-462-3821 is open 24/7.
University Housing housing.appstate.edu
- University Housing is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2160 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- West Campus Service Desk is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- East Campus Service Desk is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
University Recreation urec.appstate.edu
- University Recreation is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone at 828-262-2100.
- The Mt. Mitchell fitness facility, Student Recreation Center and the Quinn Recreation Center are Closed until further notice.
- The University Recreation team continues to explore opportunities to engage and educate students through virtual formats. Please continue to visit our website, urec.appstate.edu for broad departmental updates. Also, many online fitness courses have already been established. Please learn more about those opportunities at fitness.appstate.edu.
Wellness & Prevention Services wellness.appstate.edu
- The office will be open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone.
- Appointments with staff can be scheduled by calling (828) 262-3148 and will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Updates regarding health promotion activities available through digital and virtual platforms can be found at wellness.appstate.edu/covid19.