Here in the Division of Student Affairs we offer opportunities for professional/personal development for our staff and graduate students. We have a few themes for this year:
- Supervisor's Institute : This is a four-part series (90 minutes each) dedicated to ALL current Student Affairs supervisors who want to gain more knowledge around supervision. Some of the topics will include: being an effective supervisor, performance management, employee motivation and morale and building campus partnerships.
- Human Resources Learning & Organizational Development (Workshops/Classes): "Learning and organizational development is an ongoing process that shapes the future of our university and provides individual employees and teams with the knowledge, skills, and empowerment to further their career."-Office of Human Resources
- Staff Wellbeing: These opportunities help to develop space for staff to engage in wellness opportunities that can help with relationship/community building in the Division. They also create a series of social and team-building opportunities during and after work hours for SA staff to gather. Staff Wellbeing will also include topics that will increase the knowledge of certain topics related to higher education and Appalachian State University.
- SA Fall Meetups: This opportunity is for all SA staff to meet once a month for lunch at a designated location.
- Taste of Dialogue (Spring 2023): This coming spring we will offer a series of "Taste of Dialogue" events, in partnership with the Office of Community-Engaged Leadership's Sustained Dialogue initiative. These Taste of Dialogue events will begin with a brief educational speaker or video, and then transition to structured small-group dialogue, over provided lunch. We hope to see you all there.
We encourage you to take advantage of these workshops and discussions. Rooms and times (if not listed) will be updated. Also, this page will be updated on a regular basis to add additonal experiences. Mark your calendars NOW!
|Friday, August 26th||SA New Staff Connections (Orientation)||122 Roan Mtn Room, PSU||9:00am-1:00pm||Student Affairs Leadership|
|Friday, August 26th||Graduate Assistant Training, Part II||122 Roan Mtn Room, PSU||11:30am-1:00pm||Dana Braswell & Matt McNaney|
|Thursday, September 15th||HR: Banner Basics for Beginners (opens in a new tab)||215 Edwin Duncan Hall||9:00am-11:00am||John Adams/Jennifer Geouque|
|Thursday, September 15th||Supervisor's Institute, Session I: What Does it Mean to be a Supervisor?||122 Roan Mtn Room, PSU||10:00am-11:30am||Jacqui Bergman/Traci Royster|
|Friday, September 16th||Basic Scala Content Management System (CMS) (opens in a new tab)||218 Anne Belk Hall||2:00pm-3:00pm||Heather Brandon|
|Tuesday, October 11th||Basic Scala Content Management System (CMS) (opens in a new tab)||218 Anne Belk Hall||3:30pm-4:30pm||Heather Brandon|
|Thursday, October 13th||Supervisor's Institute, Session II: Performance Management||122 Roan Mtn Room, PSU||9:00am-10:30am||Jacqui Bergman/Traci Royster|
|Tuesday, October 18th||Intro to Scala: Media Design||218 Anne Belk Hall, Rm. 222||3:00pm-4:00pm||Heather Brandon|
|Thursday, October 20th||HR: Banner Basics for Beginners (opens in a new tab)||215 Edwin Duncan Hall||9:00am-11:00am||John Adams/Jennifer Geouque|
|Thursday, October 20th||SA October Fall Meetup||The Local: 179 Howard Street||11:45am||Traci Royster|
|Tuesday, October 25th||App Allies Workshop||Roan Mtn., Rm 122, PSU||3:00pm-4:30pm||Kristen Benson|
|Wednesday, October 26th (online)||Learn More about LinkedIn Learning||Online||2:00pm||Tracy Smith and Emory Maiden|
|Wednesday, November 2nd (online)||Intro to Scala: Media Design||Online||9:00am-10:00am||Heather Brandon|
|Wednesday, November 9th||App Allies Workshop||Roan Mtn., Rm. 122, PSU||9:00am-10:30am||Kristen Benson|
|Thursday, November 10th||Basic Scala Content Management System (CMS) (opens in a new tab)||218 Anne Belk Hall||2:00pm-3:00pm||Heather Brandon|
|Friday, November 11th||Grad Assistants Town Hall||Online (see email)||10:00am-11:00am||Traci Royster|
|Tuesday, November 15th||November Fall Meetup||Basil's: 246 Wilson Drive||11:30am||Traci Royster|
|Thursday, November 17th||HR: Banner Basics for Beginners (opens in a new tab)||215 Edwin Duncan Hall||9:00am-11:00am||John Adams/Jennifer Geouque|
|Thursday, November 17th||Intro to Scala: Media Design||218 Anne Belk Hall, Rm. 222||10:30am-11:30am||Heather Brandon|
|Thursday, December 1st||Disciplinary Process and Managing Attendance||TBD||9:00am-12:00pm||Daniel Bryan|
|Friday, December 2nd||Basic CMS Admin: Scala (Digital Signage) User Training||Online||10:00am-11:00am||Heather Brandon|
|Tuesday, December 6th||102 Watauga River Room, PSU||12:00pm-1:00pm||University Ombuds Office|
|Thursday, December 8th||Supervisor's Institute, Session IV: Building Campus Partnerships||169 Three Top Mtn Room, PSU||9:00am-11:00am||Jacqui Bergman/Traci Royster|
|Tuesday, December 13th||Disciplinary Process and Managing Attendance||TBD||9:00am-12:00pm||Daniel Bryan|
|Thursday, December 15th||HR: Banner Basics for Beginners (opens in a new tab)||215 Edwin Duncan Hall||9:00am-11:00am||John Adams/Jennifer Geouque|
|Tuesday, January 10th||Student Affairs Annual Conference||Plemmons Student Union||8:00am-5:00pm||ALL|