About The Nomination
A nomination and reference statement and/or letter must include the following:
- The nature and/or scope of the student's contributions which merit an outstanding designation
- The complexity of the effort required
- Significant challenges faced, problems solved or accomplishments made
- Significant development and/or personal growth demonstrated throughout the effort
- Ability to balance curricular and co-curricular challenges
Deadline for Nominations: Monday, March 15, midnight.
More About This Award
This award is not intended to recognize good leadership, but rather students who have demonstrated leadership that could best be described as exemplary or outstanding. This leadership can be exhibited in traditional or non-traditional settings. Additionally, students nominated for this award should demonstrate that they exhibit the academic and personal behaviors expected of a successful student leader. Nominations should demonstrate that while the student may have excelled in a specific program or leadership role, that his/her leadership and actions are consistent throughout their student involvement.
This award is named for Ronny L. Brooks who served as Dean of Men and later Dean of Students at Appalachian and who was a strong supporter of the out-of-class learning that fostered student development. While this award process is coordinated by the Division of Student Development, the Ronny Brooks Leadership Award is to recognize any Appalachian student who demonstrates the ideals and principles of the award.